PROFESSIONAL SHAWNEE PLAYHOUSE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR
WINTER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
CONTACT: Midge McClosky ShawneePlayhouseExecDir@gmail.com
The Shawnee Playhouse, a professional nonunion repertory theatre Shawnee on Delaware, PA, is currently accepting applications for our Summer 2014 Internship positions.
The SPH Internship Program offers qualified candidates the opportunity to serve as interns for a season with our professional theatrical company serving as either a performance, technical, stage management or costuming intern, and offers a weekly stipend and housing for candidates who are hired into the program. The program provides each intern the opportunity to explore all aspects of theatre ranging from performance to production, and is geared toward candidates who are currently in college or have recently completed their undergraduate training, seeking to bridge the gap between the academic world and the world of professional theatre, and helping young artists in need of a place to build their careers.
The aim of the program is for our Interns to gain a clear understanding of how the business of theatre works on every level, and with real-world experience in a number of capacities using a wide range of skills, while also offering immersion opportunities in the program. Shawnee Playhouse does not guarantee lead roles, but does promise stage time for all performance interns. Our Technical Interns get to explore set, sound and prop design, stage management and tech crew positions. The Costume Interns design and build costumes, complete alterations and manage the costume shop. ALL interns gain experience and work with professionals from all over the country. In addition, all interns will work with the Shawnee Playhouse STARS Program.
Candidates interested in applying for an internship position should submit the following materials:
Letter of intent
Two letters of recommendation
3 References with phone and email contact information
Midge McClosky, Executive Director
ATTENTION INTERNSHIP POSITION,
P.O. Box # 159 ~ 552 River Road
Shawnee on Delaware, PA 18356.
Candidates may also Fax their submission to 570-421-4914
or submit via email at ShawneePlayhouseExecDir@gmail.com
This current SPH Internship positions will run from May 15, 2014– September 4, 2014 with the possibility of early release for classes.
SHAWNEE PLAYHOUSE S.T.A.R.S PROGRAM
Intern as a Camp Counselor!!
Location: Shawnee Playhouse
Time Frame: The camp season runs from July 1 – August 20 (including time off July 4 & 5).
Application Deadline: March 1, 2014
Positions will remain open until suitable candidates are hired. To assure review, letter of application, resume, and unofficial transcripts must be received no later than March 1, 2014. Applicants will be notified no later than April 15, 2014.
Direct questions to:
Working under the supervision of The Shawnee Playhouse Executive Director, and alongside performance Interns present at camp, the education inters will act as camp counselors and will have the following responsibilities:
- Assist Executive Director in developing and implementing theatrically based educational programming in camping for youth grades K-9. The camping program is held at the Shawnee Playhouse in Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA. Work hours are based on the camp schedule for the season and other uses of the facility. Typically 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- The internship may also include additional time working in the box office. This option may require attendance at evening and weekend performances.
Completion of at least two semesters of undergraduate college coursework (achieved at least sophomore status by the 2013 fall semester). Suitable academic majors would include elementary education, child development, psychology, community development, sport/recreation or other related disciplines. Applicants from any accredited college or university are welcome to apply. Preference will be given to applicants who have declared Theatre as a minor and possess at least a 2.5 GPA. One of the camp counselors must be at 21 years old and that person should be with the children at all times.
Other qualifications to address in your application letter include:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with individuals, groups, and through mass media.
- Experience in working with youth, adults, groups and co-workers to accomplish individual and/or group goals, as evidenced by college and/or community activities.
- Ability to utilize electronic communication and computer applications within the framework of program development, delivery and management.
- Must be a self-starter who can work with a minimum of supervision.
- Familiarity with and commitment to working with adults and youth from various ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- CPR and first aid certification is required as is a Pennsylvania Child Abuse Clearance form.
How to Apply:
Send letter of application, resume, and unofficial copies of college transcripts to:
The Shawnee Playhouse
P.O. Box #159
Shawnee-on-Delaware, PA 18356.
Applications can be e-mailed to: ShawneePlayhouseExecDir@gmail.com
A one-page letter of application should include a brief statement about meeting the qualifications and why you have an interest in this internship.
Your resume should include the following information:
- Name, home/college address, telephone number, and email address.
- Copy of a college transcript which includes dates attended, degrees earned or anticipated graduation date, major for each degree.
- Work experience: List beginning with the present employer, including the dates of employment, names, addresses and telephone numbers of employers, and a brief description of work.
- College related organizations or activities.
- List three names of people familiar with your work including college instructors or employers. Include their mailing addresses and phone numbers.
This link will take you to our 2013 season.